- Breastfeeding is painful. Not true! Your nipples may feel tender at first but you should not feel pain. If you do feel pain, seek help from a lactation consultant.
- It’s not possible to breastfeed twins. Not true! Your body can produce enough breastmilk for multiples, and it’s actually easier to breastfeed than to bottle feed. Your breastmilk is “ready to feed” and it’s already at the perfect temperature. And you’ll save time by not having to prepare formula and clean bottles.
- Breastfeeding causes breasts to sag. Not true! Change in breast appearance may be due to pregnancy, but not to breastfeeding. Also remember that breastfeeding is protective, reducing the risk of breast cancer.
- Infant formulas are very similar to breastmilk. Not true! Breastmilk has many components such as antibodies, enzymes, and hormones that formula cannot provide.
- Most women are not able to produce enough breastmilk. Not true! Most women produce more than enough breastmilk for their baby. If you feel that your breastmilk supply is low, seek help from a lactation consultant. There are many strategies to increase breastmilk supply.