Impact of Unsafe Sleep Practices:
* According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2010, 2,063 deaths were reported as SIDS, 918 as cause unknown, and 629 as accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed.
* Since January 2013, 143 alleged reports of babies dying due to unsafe sleep have been called in to the Florida Abuse Hotline. For children less than 1 year of age, two–thirds of injury deaths were due to suffocation.
* Collier County has had 4 sleep related infant deaths this year. SUID (Sudden Unexpected Infant Death) is the leading cause of death of children ages 0-18 in Collier County.
To discuss the dangers of sharing a bed with an infant and to encourage the community to donate new pack n play (portables cribs), the NCH Safe & Healthy Children’s Coalition of Collier County invites you to a Press Conference:
DATE: Wednesday, December 18th, 2013
TIME: 10:30 a.m.
PLACE: NCH Birth Place (11190 Health Park Boulevard, Naples, FL 34110)
Dr. Debbie Shepard, NCH Pediatrics Department Vice Chair and NCH Safe & Healthy Children’s Coalition Safe Sleep Committee Chair.
Dr. Allen Weiss, NCH Healthcare System – President & CEO
Dr. Joan Colfer, Department of Health in Collier County – Director
Collier County Sheriff Kevin Rambosk
Chief Walter Kopka, Collier County EMS
Chief Orly Stolts, North Naples Fire Control and Rescue District
Mike Carroll, Regional Managing Director SunCoast Region Department of Children and Families
Cathy Timuta, Healthy Start SW Florida – Executive Director
Dr. Betty McEntire, SIDS Institute – Executive Director
Dr. Harry Moreau, KIDZ Medical Services, Neonatologist
Danna Breeden, SW Florida Early Learning Coalition of SW Florida Nurse Consultant and Florida Department of Health in Collier County
Jackie Stephens, Children’s Advocacy Center of Collier County, Executive Director
Betsy McCormack, Charlie’s Kids Foundation
Although many parents want to create a beautiful sleeping environment complete with soft bedding, fluffy pillows, plush stuffed animals and bumper pads, such an environment may prove dangerous to an infant not yet at an age where they are able to move their head to ensure a clear airway. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends babies sleep ALONE, on their BACKS and in a CRIB. Babies should sleep in their own cribs, as the risk of infant death is 40 times higher for babies who sleep in adult beds.
How people can donate new pack n plays:
* By donating through the Coalition website
* The store manager at the Walmart Supercenter located on 11225 Tamiami Trail N, Naples, FL has agreed to match the online price of $49.88 at the store.
* The Florida Department of Health in Collier County (3339 Tamiami Trail East, Building H, Naples, FL 34112) and North Naples Fire Control & Rescue District –Station 45 (1885 Veterans Park Drive, Naples, FL 34109) have volunteered to serve as drop-off locations for new pack n play (portable cribs) donations.
Healthy Start will distribute pack n plays to families and organizations in need. The public is encouraged to donate new pack n plays to designated locations or to donate through the Coalition website. A pack n play set is an economical solution to provide a safe sleep environment for a newborn or an infant.
More information about the campaign, including videos, designated drop-off locations, go to www.safehealthychildren.org or www.myflfamilies.com/safesleep.