It’s silent, happens quickly and is 100% preventable: Florida has the highest overall unintentional drowning death rate for 1-4 year olds, three times the national average. U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) latest data show there were 355 reported fatal child drownings in pools and spas in 2013, with 283 involving children younger than 5. By no means has Collier County been spared this preventable tragedy. According to the Bureau of Vital Statistics, drowning is the leading cause of death of children ages one to four in Collier County.
The NCH Safe & Healthy Children’s Coalition recognizes that multiple layers of protection are necessary to prevent drowning.
Layers include various types of barriers, including supervision, fences, pool covers, alarms, education, and more. Some layers aid in preventing access to the water, such as fences or pool safety covers. Other types of layers, such as alarms, will alert adults immediately if the barriers have been crossed. And finally, some layers are intended to minimize injury should a child gain access to the water, such as swim instruction, proper rescue techniques, and knowing CPR.
Please help share the following four messages to help prevent the loss of another child!
- Supervise – Never take your eyes off children in and around water.
- Use Barriers – Fences, self-closing/self-latching gates and secured doors with alarms can prevent young children from wandering into the pool. Check for broken or missing drain covers.
- Learn to Swim – To stay safer in the water, all family members should learn to swim well.
- Know How to Respond – Get training in basic water rescue skills, first aid and CPR. Have rescue equipment and a phone by the pool.
National Drowning Prevention Alliance
Collier County Sheriff’s Office – A Preventable Tragedy
Swimming Instruction, Water Safety Instruction and CPR Directory:
SWIM LESSONS – Collier County
- Greater Naples YMCA (Ages 6 months +) 5450 YMCA Road, Naples 239-597-3148 www.ymcapalms.org
- Greater Marco Family YMCA (Ages 6 months +) 101 Sand Hill St, Marco Island 239-597-3148 www.marcoislandymca.org
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon (Ages 6 months +) 15000 Livingston Rd (239) 252-4021 www.collierparks.com
- Golden Gate Aquatic Facility (Ages 6 months +) 3300 Santa Barbara Blvd (239) 252-6128 www.collierparks.com
- Immokalee Sports Complex (Ages 5 months +) 505 Escambia St., Immokalee (239) 657-1951 www.collierparks.com
- City of Naples – River Park Aquatic Facility (Ages 3 months +) 451 11th Street North, Naples, 239-213-3037 www.naplesgov.com
- American Red Cross Collier County Chapter (Ages 6 months +) 239-596-6868 www.colliercountyredcross.org
CPR CLASSES- Collier County
- American Red Cross Collier County Chapter 239-596-6868 www.colliercountyredcross.org
- East Naples Fire Department 239-774-7111 www.enfd.org
- NCH Women’s & Children’s Resource Center – Infant CPR (Ages 6 months +) 239-552-7396 www.nchmd.org
- Physicians Regional Health Systems 239-354-6085 www.physiciansregional.net
- Collier CPR and Safety Training – 239-537-0495